Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Snooker

Familiar with the name Jimmy White, Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins and our very own Sam Chong?

Snooker is played on a rectangular snooker table, typically 1.8m x 3.6 m. You can see 6 holes, called pockets and the aim of every player is to successfully cue the correct ball into the pockets. A game quite similar to snooker is pool, but however the snooker balls are smaller in size.

Arrangement of balls on a snooker table.

There are 15 reds, 6 colors and 1 white cue ball. According of precedence and point, the colors are yellow (2), green (3), brown (4), blue (5), pink (6) and black (7). You gain 1 point if you pot in a red ball. Funny thing is, yellow ball is nicknamed "Banana" while black is called "Black Wood". Both are in Cantonese, a dialect which I master well compared to Hokkien & Mandarin.

As for myself, I enjoy a game of snooker fortnightly with pals. People actually say that I am "noisy" while playing, making a lot of funny remarks to make the game livelier. Anyway I just want to enjoy the companionship with so many friends around!

I was playing at the snooker centre situated next to UTP campus, Tronoh.

I remember this too well; I potted the red into the middle pocket. My opponent claimed I was using some kind of black magic.

Back to hometown, my regular partner for a game is Jen-win. He is a good player; I should say no that one wanted(dared) to play with him for an open "you-lose-you-pay" game. He indeed look like a typical Chinese bad boy with gold color hair, but I assure you, he is no bad boy.

Unfortunately, people do stereotype snooker as a game only bad boys play. I wish to correct the mindset that snooker is a healthy sport, being played all around the globe. Playing snooker itself doesn't guarantee a boy will grow up becoming a school drop-out. It all boils down to the boy himself. He can always be influenced outside the snooker centre.

But I tell you, snooker will only be a healthy sports if you minus the second-hand smoke inhaled in, for 2 long hours. And of course, I lose to Jen-win almost all the time.

4 comments:

Shern Shiou said...

where is ur kahling?

kerbaurider said...

yea i tot ur partner is owez kahling.

anywho, i suka snoker tapi saya tak pandai. saya noobs.

KEEFOO LEE said...

MY kahling? haihhh~

Durruz Azam said...

hey kee foo...

saje lalu~