Thursday, January 15, 2009

When Civil Engineering is Deemed A Bad Choice

Okay. This is a really big civil engineering project. It is being financed by revenues from oil palm plantation and rubber factory. A fresh graduate from UTP is needed in this project. The package will be completed by a nominated subcontractor, Pembinaan AhPek Sdn Bhd. However, procurement method is quite straight forward. No Superitending Officer, Consultant Engineers and Quantity Surveyor will be involved. The nominated subcontractor will oversee the planning, design, construction, and commissioning in this mega-project.

Pembinaan AhPek will have to report directly to client regarding the progress of work at site. Due to the nature of the access road and aesthetics, no machineries will be used. Hitachi EX200 will not be able prove itself to be superior to Sumitomo 280 in this piece of land belonging to the client. Neither flat-top Linden Comansa tower crane nor "construction king" CASE will be deployed to site. P&H mobile crane is deemed useless here, while the gigantic, 150 tonne Bauer BG36 will not bore any piles to avoid pile group settlement. All construction materials would be handled by manpower instead of using Manitau.

Worst thing is that, not even one single Bangladeshi worker will be working under the hot burning sun.

Yes, I have to do the job.

Repairing the perimeter drain, approximately 300 m run around my house.

Holy cow~

Works on site has yet to start due to problems in procurement of OPC. In simple terms, I am yet to buy the pack of cement needed to repair the damaged drain. (Main reason : Lazy to start work)

This is the worst damage along the perimeter drain due to chemical attack from soaps and detergents.

I'm not so worried about loss of fines since this retaining wall on the LHS of my house is still sound and no cracks wider than 1mm observed along this 20 m wall.

Paa..I am demanding salary for this! This will be a lump sum package and I demand a LA for this. I want payment to be made progressively because I am still jobless by now. However, don't apply LAD on me due to late completion. I have concrete reason to apply for EOT, such as force majeure.

DLP will be 10 years and I can be mobilized in anytime to rectify the damages. And because this is a simple job, hopefully you don't demand for Master Program and Network Diagram from me. You can do PPR and Earn Value Analysis to measure and control my work. Plus, you won't need a sound method statement for this, because I am competent! Put your worries some where else.

Sigh, I am a proud site-man, but not this~ PETRONAS, hire me faster!!

3 comments:

kerbaurider said...

i have a bag of cement in my house now and i have eta 7 days to start working with it. Save me .. as a not so competent electrical engineer needs to repair my house.

how to mix the cement thingy? campur air and kacau ar?

KEEFOO LEE said...

use 1 unit of cement(ordinary cement)to 2 units of clean sand(river sand) to 3 units of small stones (granite). mix cement,sand and aggregate thoroughly. add in water and mix again.

if u you 1 scoop of cement, add in 1/2 scoop of water. don't pour the water altogether at once. pour bit by bit.

"kacau secukup rasa." this will be fine for non-structural repair such as walking pavement etc.

this ratio of mix is suitable for DIY jobs.

Farhan Iqbal said...

haha...
sian weizhu..
gud luck being a civil engineer...

nyway pek, on ur case, i do think its fine...if chemical attack on d drain is too much, apa laga, pakai a cement yg leh cater dat attack...(aku siyesly sengal bab concrete)

for dat retaining wall, since basically ada something to prevent lost of fines, so u didnt to worry much...weep hole tu secured kot...

and gud luck bro...